Stats Every Social Media Manager Should Know Going Into 2023
Can you believe we are this close to 2023? We are still recovering from all of the social media updates that happened in 2022! (check out our monthly social media round-ups to stay up to date on all the social updates)
Being a Social Media Manager means that you’re trying to stay up to date on the latest trends and stats. Instead of spending hours looking for this information, we wanted to wrap it up for you in 1 blog post so that you can take back your day!
Social Media Manager stats:
We recently surveyed 113 Social Media Managers to better understand what was important in their role in 2022 and what they’re expecting in 2023. Here are the highlights:
- Social Media Manager, Social Media Coordinator and Marketing Manager were the top 3 most common job titles for people working in social.
- 91.7% of Social Media Managers surveyed were not affected by the tech layoffs
- 48.1% work on a social team with just themselves and 29.6% have a team of 2-3.
- The average salary of a Social Media Manager is anywhere between $36,000 - $55,000 a year with an average yearly salary increase of 0%-2%.
- The top 3 biggest barriers Social Media Managers faced in 2022 were keeping up with the algorithm and new features, declining organic reach and proving ROI.
- The top 4 skills that will be more relevant in 2023 include video editing, storytelling, community building and influencer marketing.
- 95.4% of Social Media Managers surveyed say they will be making more video content in 2023.
I think we can all agree that Instagram released SO many new features in 2022. At times it may have felt hard to keep up with. With that being said, Instagram has been on top of its game by providing more opportunities and features around video content. Here are some important Instagram stats to know going into the new year.
- Instagram has over 1 billion users
- 95 million videos and photos are shared every day
- Instagram users spend on average 30 minutes on the app a day
- 81% of people using Instagram are using it to research products and services
- 500 million people use Instagram Stories daily
- Instagram engagement fell from 1.6% in 2020 to 1.22% in 2022
- 87% of people agree that they are influenced by influencers
- 14.2% of content uploaded to Instagram are videos
2022 was the year when TikTok took over. We don’t know about you, but we know we have spent way too much time scrolling! It felt like, through 2022, brands started to realize the positives of creating a TikTok account. We’ve seen more and more businesses popping up on the app and creating awesome creative content. Check out these TikTok stats from 2022:
- TikTok has over 1 billion monthly active users
- TikTok users love the app so much that on average users spend 95 minutes on the app a day
- 33% of TikTok users say they get their news from the app
- TikTok has higher engagement rates than other platforms. For example, Upfluence found micro-influencers had engagement rates of 17.96% on TikTok and 3.86% on Instagram.
- 9 out of 10 TikTok users open up the app multiple times a day
- CapCut (owned by TikTok) is in the top 5 video editors in the USA
- 54% of engaged TikTok users will comment on a video
- TikTok has more female users (56.1%) than male users (43.9%)
Facebook may seem like it’s fading out, but check out these stats below! Facebook isn’t going anywhere. A way we have been using Facebook a lot is through Facebook Groups (join the HeyOrca Community to keep up with social news and product releases). With community building being more prominent in 2023, Facebook could be a great place for your brand to hang out.
- Facebook has 2.91 billion active monthly users
- Facebook users spend, on average, 19.6 hours a month on the app
- 31% of Americans use Facebook as a new resource
- Facebook Groups are used by 1.8 billion people a month
- Organic Facebook reach has been declining since 2018
- The average cost per click is up 13% compared to 2020
- US Facebook ads are expected to grow 12.2% in 2023
- There are 1 billion active users using Facebook Marketplace
Going into 2023, you may be feeling a little bit nervous about Twitter after seeing the recent developments. If you’re curious about what 2023 holds for Twitter, take a look at Elon Musk’s roadmap here. Check out these stats below from the past yet:
- Twitter has 237.8 million monetizable daily active users
- The majority of Twitter’s audience is between 25 and 34 years old
- Between October 2021 and November 2022, hate speech impressions have lowered
- New user sign-ups were at an all-time high in November 2022
- 30% of consumers are wanting to see more brands on Twitter
- The tears of joy emoji (😂) is the most popular emoji on Twitter
- 6,000 tweets were posted every second in 2022
- 54% of Twitter users are more likely to buy new products
Have you been incorporating LinkedIn into your social strategy? Over the past few years, LinkedIn has really grown its audience. With Twitter feeling unpredictable, some users have been switching over to LinkedIn when it comes to sharing thoughts. If you haven’t started including LinkedIn in your workflow, here are some reasons you should.
- 59.9% of LinkedIn users are between the ages of 25 and 34 years old
- LinkedIn saw 15x more content impressions than job postings
- LinkedIn has 722 million members
- LinkedIn posts with images get 2x higher engagement
- A third of company engagement comes from employees
- 16.2% of LinkedIn users are active daily
- LinkedIn has more male users than female users
- Every minute, 6 people are hired on LinkedIn
When looking at our Social Media Manager Role survey results and the statistics from other platforms I think it’s safe to say video is going nowhere in 2023! With TikTok and Instagram leading the social media charts, Social Media Managers may have to shift their content to keep up with the latest trends.
To keep up with the latest social media updates and trends, sign up for our newsletter The HeyOrca Brief! We send you all the updates, trending audio, free resources, caption ideas and more straight to your inbox.